Posted to rec.woodworking
Old guy Old guy is offline

Default First attempt at grinding, how bad did I do?

I had to learn to use the darn thing. I don't understand why there is so
much slop between the base and the slider part. I prefer to let the bar
ride on the bottom of the slot. Trying to keep it riding on the top of the
slot doesn't work well for me.

What I do is to set the blade up just touching the wheel. Of course after
the first pass it doesn't. So I just put a little downward pressure on the
blade, the tool rest base flexes, and the blade touches the wheel again. I'm
aware it changes the bevel angle a smitch, but I don't worry about it.

It seems to let me grind my tools gently.

As far as square, I've never been able to just put the tool in the slider
piece and have it come out square. I need a visual reference to help me.
I've found that it works best for me to color the back edge of the blade
with a magic marker, then scratch a true square line in the color with an
awl. With that visual reference, I can get the end as true as I want it. I
don't grind all the way back to the mark.

Actually, I use the grinder to get the shape and the bevel on the tool, and
then switch to sandpaper for the sharpening and honing. (Using the cheap
one wheeled $15 honing guide.)

My main use for the tool rest is getting the right bevel on lathe chisels.

It's a pain when EVERYTHING is dull!

Old Guy

"Leuf" wrote in message
On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 14:25:49 GMT, "Old guy" wrote:

Sounds like you have the right equipment. I love my Veritas rest and
holder.

I need more practice. I ended up not even close to square on the
plane iron. Everything with the rest seems to be square, I even tried
clamping up one of my squares in the holder and it made even contact
across the stone, so I'm pretty sure the rest is setup right

There's a lot of play between the slot in the rest and the bar on the
holder, necessary so you can pivot. Do you keep the bar pushed in, or
let it rest on the back edge?

It's wonderful to have sharp tools!

I've been putting off a sharpening session for too long. Pretty much
everything in the shop that's supposed to be sharp aint. There's one
chisel that's still borderline useableI have the original veritas
honing guide, I'm probably going to suck it up and get the mk II. I
have a $50 GC from christmas that has somehow managed to not be spent
already.

-Leuf