Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Freezer/Refrig Help

The fan next to the compressor, and the compressor come on at the
same time. If the fan is defective, the compressor will overheat.

Immediately unplug the refrig. Because an over heated compressor
may come back to life, or it may be burned out forever. On the
small chance that the compressor will come back to life, don't
hurt it any more.

Replace the fan, see if that helps.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message

Hmmm 30 years. I believe GE used their "uni-bearing"

cond motor.
The single bearing has probably gone oval-shape.

Dig out the model number, but this shows some common parts:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ac...s.aspx?cat=173

You could put a meter across the motor just to verify that
it is getting power when it stops spinning.

I have checked the temperature of the refrigerator now. It is

to warm
also. I believe the separate cooling fan for the compressor

shuts down
because the compressor is froze up and over current. Not having

delve into a refrigerators working before this can only be a

guess.

Maybe some one on this group can confirm whether the cooling

fan runs
during the same time periods as the compressor. If so I may be

off to
Lowe's to get another thirty year refrigerator.