Posted to rec.woodworking
Glen Glen is offline

Default OT again: Parents could be fined for missing school meetings

Mark & Juanita wrote:
On 2 Feb 2007 18:59:01 -0800, "
wrote:

Pretty much indicates where you are coming from

Parents Who Skip School Meetings Could Be Fined

AUSTIN, Texas -- Parents bewa Miss a meeting with your child's
teacher
and it could cost you a $500 fine and a criminal record.

I can see where this may be a good idea. Particularly in schools that
are having "behavioral" problems with students whose parents are barely
older than the children the school is trying to educate. What is a school
to do when you have a discipline problem with a child and the parents
continually avoid meeting with the teacher? Since education is mandatory
and provided at taxpayer expense, there are some responsibilities that
parents should assume.

Of course the application of this law needs to be reasonable. Trying to
apply it to a parent who has an emergency situation the first time a
meeting is scheduled should not result in a fine, after the second or third
missed meeting however, it seems that the school should have some recourse.

I agree with you, Mark. I do understand that things can happen to stop
a parent from having a meeting, but when it happens over and over, that
plain ****es me off.

I open the shop for my kids at 6:30 AM, but classes don't start until
7:31. I always have a pretty good number of kids who come in early to
work on a project in a less crowded atmosphere than the regular class
situation. I think this is good. This is also the time I can give to
some of my special ed kids one-on-one. (BTW, I only have two of these
who come in on a regular basis, but the progress these kids are making
would astound you.) It really ****es me off when I have to throw my
kids who want to do extra work out of the shop so that I can meet with
the parents of some turd of a kid who doesn't want to work in my class,
or any other for that matter, and then I have to wait until they show
up. Parents have stood me up more frequently than they have shown up,
and that just isn't right.

Non-related, but a drive by gloat anyway. I have one kid, a 1b, who
loves class. Last week he showed me his plans for his next project and
it included hand cut dovetails. He came in early Thurs. and Fri. and
sat for about 45 minutes, picking pieces from the scrap box, and
practiced cutting dovetails. He's not there yet, but they are getting
better. You gotta love a kid like that.

Glen