Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Haaky Haaky is offline

Default Power Amp Repair

You could check for cracked solder joints. Audio amps though,
particularly the higher power variety, can become real money pits for
the inexperienced to work on. Output transistors are often expensive,
and they'll pop in the blink of an eye as you've found, if any fault
remains when you switch it on.

I'll definitely check for any cracked soldier joints. I figure i paid
175 for the amp. I just put another 140 into fixing it
that's probably all i'm gonna put into it.

I'll probably end up buying a new Power Amp, Keep this one and use it
as a backup or use it to experiment with.

I'm wondering if it's something in the power supply?. It's seems like
it's getting a surge of power when i turn it on. Not all the time just
on occasion.
I changed speaker wires and changed out the cables going from the
mixer into the amp. Just incase there was a short somewhere.

All i get from the repair shop is "maybe you have a short in the
speaker wire" or "try plugging it into another outlet"

I'm not impressed with the service of the repair shop. I mean if the
guy new what he was doing. I would think he would have tried to find
what caused the output to blow. And not just replace the output. There
has to be something else wrong somewhere in there.

And it's not like i was in a hurry to get the amp back. I was willing
to let them keep it for as long as they needed. I guess there to busy
to do a good job