Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Flexible versus rigid heating duct

Thanks for your reply.

I have 3 separate runs, so I have been reluctant to add booster fans to each
one. Not only is there is the costs for installing 3 more blowers, but I
really don't want the extra noise, operating cost, and additional parts to
fail if I can avoid them with a lower impedance / resistance duct system.
Increasing the furnace blower speed in the summer to move air conditioned
air definitely helps increase the CFM, but the 2nd floor room still gets a
small fraction of the CFM it needs.

Smarty

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 3, 8:38?pm, "Smarty" wrote:
About 10 years ago, I had three 10" diameter runs of insulated flexible
duct
installed by an HVAC contractor to go from my basement forced air furnace
plenum to a 2nd floor attic room, hoping to provide adequate cooling and
heating to the 2nd floor attic area. Each of the 3 runs is about 25 feet
long.

I have never been able to get really adequate cooling or air flow on the
2nd
floor, and can only assume that the static pressure drop on these
flexible
ducts must be much higher than rigid ducts of the same approximate
diameter
and length. The installer was very careful to avoid any sharp bends or
turns
in the ducts when installing them, but they really seem to have a lot of
pressure drop.

Is there any easy way to predict how much of an improvement I might
expect
by tearing out these flexible ducts and replacing them with the same size
rigid 10 inch circular ducting?

The HVAC contractor who designed and installed this arrangement
apparently
over-stated / over-estimated the flow / volume capacity, and the CFM
delivery rates were highly optimistic. I get very little cooling, and
better
but not great heating.

Thanks for any opinions in advance.

Smarty

Have you tried a booster fan or increased overall blower speed in
furnace?