Posted to alt.home.repair
Taylor Taylor is offline

Default Snowblower Problem ?

wrote:

On Feb 3, 6:04 pm, "SJF" wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message

. ..

Hello:

Have a practically brand new Ariens snow blower with a Tecumseh engine.
Used just a few times last year; worked perfectly.
Having a bit of trouble this year. First time used this year, as we
haven't had any snow to talk about.

Starts right up, runs just fine for 5 to perhaps 8 minutes, and then
stops.
Easy to start again, then same thing: 5-8 minutes, and stops.
And again.

Not clogged.
New gas.

Doubt that it needs a new plug, as it's been used probably no more than
half a dozen times since bought.
Think it can be gummed up already ?

Anyway was wondering if this "runs and then stops" symptom, for all you
engine experts out there, might suggest what
is wrong ?

I had the same situation with a lawn mower.

Except it would run for only 10 seconds or so before stopping.

As it turns out there was a crack in the rubber fuel line which opened
only when the engine was taking on gas letting air in and causing it
to stall.

Cracks in rubber and seals becoming brittle in the fuel system can be caused by
ethanol. Thanks to the MTBE opposition and last year's switchover to ethanol
blending with gasoline in many areas, a lot of snow blowers are just now seeing
their first longer term exposure to more corrosive ethanol.

I used to store my equipment with the gas tanks full and stabilized, but it will
probably be better now to leave them empty. Ethanol corrodes things it touches
and absorbs moisture, both of which are bad news for fuel systems.