Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Laptop CMOS Discharge rate

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:48:46 -1000, "John Keiser"
wrote:

I rarely use my newish Toshiba A55. I keep it unplugged and put the main
battery in the refrigertor. When I boot up once a month using the power
cord, the NiCad CMOS battery has died and I need to reset the date in BIOS.
Would replacing the CMOS battery help or is this about as long as I should
expect under these conditions?
Thanks.

I would expect more than a month from it. Are you sure you're turning
the computer off, not putting it in standby?

There's no harm in leaving the laptop plugged in all the time when
you're not using it. The charging circuit in modern laptops is smart
enough to keep the battery fully charged while not over charging it.
Even if you remove the battery, you can leave the laptop plugged in.
Andy Cuffe