Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Propane System Converted to Natural Gas

"evangelion" wrote in message
my question is, will the system installed to heat the spaces with
propane (ie piping, meters, boilers, etc) be easily converted to
natural gas at a later date?

for example, will the piping run through the building for propane work
for natural gas as well, or is different diameter or type piping
required?

Depends on what is installed now. It may or may not work. I can't see it
from here. You'd have to size out each appliance for the gas. There are
charts available if you do a Google search on gas pipe sizing.

as for the boilers, it sounds like propane boilers are easily
converted to natural gas, but what about the meters?

The gas compnay will convert the meters for you, unless you are doing your
own sub-dividing after the main meter.

Before you do anything, are you sure thee is natural gas available at
reasonable cost? If I want to have it to my house, it is $20,000+ to extend
the main. Usually, people go with NG if it is readily available, propane if
it is not.