Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Asberry Andy Asberry is offline

Default Can a submersible pump and manual pitcher pump coexist?

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 22:38:58 +0000 (UTC), (Dave
Martindale) wrote:

Andy Asberry writes:

With a typical 1 7/8" working barrel, each foot of water column lifted
will weigh about 1.2 pounds. 100 foot depth to standing water
will require lifting 120#.

That's before any mechanical leverage applied at the handle. Also, the
piston diameter might not be the same as the pipe diameter - the max
size depends on the well casing. The force depends on piston diameter,
not water column diameter.

But no matter how you arrange the mechanism, lifting a certain volume of
water 150 feet will require at least 5 times the mechanical work
required to lift the same volume 30 feet. That was my point.

Dave

Actually Dave, I was agreeing with you. I was simply pointing out that
a column of water can quickly get heavy.

And for those who may not know, a working barrel is the cylinder. The
working valve is the piston. And Dave is correct, the piston area
determines the water column lifted.

It is common to attach a submersible pump to the bottom of the working
barrel and push water through it and the valves. Especially on
windmills when the wind doesn't blow. Only one pipe needed. And yes,
the rod pump will pull water through the submersible.

The son of a windmill man.

--Andy Asberry--