Old Nick

Default Inches or millimetres ?

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:09:32 +0800, "Dean"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I don't reckon your grandma is being any less sensible than the tube
and pipe makers are now with their "metric" sizing. I have had people
on metal and irrigation shops quite blandly tell me that 40mm is 1.5",
or 30mm is 1", and even further off than that.

Also, in the cases where they decided to keep the dies, you _do_ have
to ask for 25.4mm.

I remember arguing with my grandma about all this as a teenager. She was
reading from an article in the paper which had a conversion chart from
inches to millimetres. " So they reckon this will make things easier. How
can anyone say that 25.4 mm is easier to say than one inch ?!! " she'd ask.
I tried pointing out that she was looking at the whole thing the wrong way
round. I got so fed up I said " I suppose your amazed that just enough news
occurs in the world each day to fill a neswpaper without leaving any gaps
then ." She looked at me over her glasses and said " Well now you're just
being silly ! "

Dean.

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?