Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne, Electrician Tom Horne, Electrician is offline

Default subpanel question was circuit breaker boxes

Nate
The breaker in the garage panel should be anchored into the panel by
using a main breaker kit. That breaker is serving as the code required
Building Disconnecting Means.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Nate Nagel wrote:
The garage is detached; the subpanel doesn't have a main breaker, it's just fed through a regular 100A breaker. The home inspector didn't seem to think it was weird, except for the fact that the ground terminal strip was mounted too close to the front of the panel.

nate

RBM wrote:
The breaker in the main panel protects the wiring to the garage. If the garage is detached, it's required to have a disconnect in it. If it's attached, the electrician probably got a good deal on a panel with a main breaker

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message ...

My bedrooms are all on the same circuit, and the only other room on that circuit is the bathroom. I would like to split that off anyway so in my case I really don't care. At the same time I do that I will probably pull another homerun from the 2nd floor back to the breaker panel so that I can split the bedrooms into two circuits (yes I have another AFCI standing by.)

I actually have a 40 ckt. 200A panel in my house, but it only has 20 full sized breaker spaces, so there's lots of half height breakers in there (now.) If *I* were the guy doing the upgrade, I would have spec'd a larger panel, but that's water under the bridge.

I'm digressing a bit, but sort of on the same topic, I have a question regarding the wiring between my house and my garage. The house's breaker panel has a 100A 2-pole breaker in it, which feeds the subpanel in the garage. The other end of that wire connects to a 100A 2-pole breaker in the sub-panel. That just seems weird and redundant to me. Is this common practice, and what is the reason for it? Or did someone improvise "on the fly" and what would be the right way to do it?

nate