Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default First attempt at grinding, how bad did I do?

"Old guy" wrote in message
And third, if I am sharpening HSS tools (like lathe chisels),I don't dunk
them in water. The rapid cooling makes for micro cracks which degrade the
edge quickly.

It is OK to dunk HSS, the key is to not get the metal so screaming hot
before dunking. Think for a moment about the tools for a metal lathe.

For a wood chisel the grinder is a great tool for getting the blade close to
sharp, then you get it sharp by hand with the stone.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.