Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT again: Parents could be fined for missing school meetings

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 19:29:42 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
.. .

More importantly a one on one with teacher and or principal. I am not a
teacher and believe that too many teachers are ineffective. If you fail
see the revelance you are probably one of those people that always points
the finger.

I see, you've made two attempt now to make this about me.

HUH?

Personally I think that any teacher that can't handle the kids without
parental meetings should be fir^Hned.

Where do you live, Dream land? What public school will let a teacher
actually discipline a child without fear of a law suite?

If that is what you see as the problem then you simply need to make it
lawful for teachers to discipline children without fear of a lawsuit
rather than fining parents for not kowtowing to teachers' demands that
they appear in a certain place at a certain time.

Now you are making sense. The teacher should be able to dicepline the kids
with out fear of a law suite just like a parent should be. If it goes too
far then they can be punished just like any one else.
Further, where did you get the notion that a teacher can demand that you
show up in a certain place at a certain time? Appointments are made to
suite both parties. If you make a commitment and do not show up then that
again is a personal problem and deserves the fine.

So why would a parent make the commitment to begin with and risk the
fine?

But you are actually introducing Constitutional issues here. By what
authority does a teacher have the power to order a parent to be in a
certain place at a certain time? Teachers are not police or judges,
they have no power to issue warrants. I suspect that the courts would
toss any such law in short order.

There you go assuming that the teacher can call all the shots again.

Someone is calling the shots. If the parent has the right to refuse
to make the appointment then what purpose is served by fining the
parent who for whatever reason manages to miss one? All you're
accomplishing is to guarantee that nobody in their right mind will
ever make such an appointment.

You keep saying "liberals this" and "liberals that". The hallmark of
liberalism is more and more laws that intrude more and more into our
day to day lives. If you want to espouse a _conservative_ solution
then ditch the forced bussing and the parent will be able to walk to
the school. But you're too busy trying to find new ways to harass
people who already have too much on their plate to be bothered with
doing anything like _that_.