Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default OT again: Parents could be fined for missing school meetings

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

Sounds as if the Texan educators are sufficiently technophobic that
they daren't punch up a phone number when they have something to say
to a parent. I'm glad that isn't so daunting to teachers everywhere.

Hey, Bubba ... watch it! It's a statistical fact that most of the folks now
residing here in Texas are not "Texans".

Besides, I won't defend the "educators" because they themselves are often
the product of a successive generational increase in parental
irresponsibilty which currently, and clearly, manifests itself in public
schools in this country, and not just in Texas.

The proposal is unquestionably distasteful, but it is an attempt to address
a problem that is growing here to the point it that it will take distasteful
action to solve.

Got any alternative suggestions/solutions?

Also sounds as if Rep. Smith hankers to appear important/powerful by
criminalizing and (perhaps further) economically handicapping those
who don't do what he thinks they should.

Since justice has to do with equity (hence the scales in Justice's
hand - along with the sword), it would be interesting to hear Rep.
Smith expound on the justice of his bill - and to establish that $500
is, in fact, a fair and reasonable valuation of the stood-up teacher's
time. Perhaps that valuation could be used, in turn, to arrive at a
new salary schedule for Texas teachers. \
I'm not sure that I think much of that criminalization stuff, tho. But
then, perhaps the Texans - or the Texas Legislature - feels that they
really do need more citizens with criminal records. Presumably, a
person with a criminal record is easier to intimidate and control...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping government out of daily life, but
let's look at it at another angle:

I just paid $6.3K and some change in 2006 HISD school taxes two days ago ...
believe me, with a kid in college, it hurt financially to do that public
duty, which I have no philosophical problem with doing.

Now, you tell me why irresponsible parents, whose kids disrupt the classroom
so no others can learn and thereby rob me/my kids of the value of my hard
earned tax dollar spent on education, should NOT have to pay in some manner
for their irresponsible parenting?

.... and _particularly_ when they REFUSE to show up to discuss the problem!

Hell, you fine someone for not showing up at traffic court, why not a
parent/teacher conference?

Which is more important?

That something has to be done is unquestionable ... got any alternative
suggestions?

BTW, this is NOT personal, Morris ... the fact that you're a good guy shines
through all the BS on both sides.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/27/07