Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Noisy heating ducts on expansion and contraction

Mike E. Fullerton wrote:
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 15:30:22 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Mike E. Fullerton wrote:
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:39:49 -0500, Goedjn
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 19:23:20 GMT, Mike E. Fullerton
wrote:

..
Are these round or rectangular ducts?

Rectangular.

sometimes creasing the panels in those in
a big X will reduce the booming.

How do you crease the panels?

That is a professional job. Could that "crackling" sound be
described as a booming? If so can you pinpoint the source?

The panels aleady have this X crease in them. I would call the sound
more of a cracking/creaking not a "booming". The sound seems to come
from the metal duct hangers. In fact it seems to come right where the
top of the duct touches the hanger. I put some plastic under the
noisiest one and it didn't seem to help much. The hanger is bent in
slightly at the top as if the installer put them in too tight against
the ducts. I wonder if they were looser if there would not be as much
noise. I can't experiment without taking out the ducts though.

This is drving me nuts and we're losing sleep. I wonder if insulating
the ducts would dampen the noise.

Actually removing the hanger, adding some duct insulation and replacing
the hanger should help, assuming the problem is what you think it is. Hard
to tell from here.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit