Posted to alt.home.repair
67curt 67curt is offline

Default Home Electrical Fuse Panel

On Feb 3, 7:16 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Don't know why you'd want to do that when you could replace the entire panel
with a 100 amp main breaker panel. My guess is that the three pullouts are
less than 100 amp, probably 60 amp and 30 amp, so you could install a sub
connected to one of those. There probably isn't a legal method of connecting
to the load side of the main fuses as the NEC requires you to install
equipment as the manufacturer intended

"67curt" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hello,
My house currently has a Wadsworth (Model 100RWLD8) 100Amp 120-240V
(3-pole) fuse panel installed. What I was wondering is this;
I would like ti install a subpanel without removing the Wadsworth
from service, but only utilizing the main fuses inside the box to
install feed subpanel, everything else would then be moved to the new
subpanel.
The panel was installed in 1960 when the home was built, most of the
wiring inside the house uses Romex type wiring, although there are 2
lines that are the older "cloth" coated type, they still seem in very
good condition.
The exsisting wadsworth panel only has 8 of the screw-type fuses (no
spares). There are 3 of the pull type fuses marked as main lights,
though 1 sits to the left and higher inside the panel. There is one
more pull type fuse marked as "pump".
At one time there was a hot water heater installed, I know this from
the previous owner and the disconnect and waterlines are still in
place.
I need to add some additional lights and a receptacle in my
basement, does anyone see an issue with my proceeding with this
project?

Thanks, I was just trying to get 1 more circuit. But I may increase to
200A service so the swap-out will most likely be the method I use.
Guess I was just more curious than serious.

Thanks,Curt