Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default End grain - wet or dry wood

"Arch" wrote in message
George inquires, "Why regrind?" "Works great as a cutter."

WebTV won't take me to your reference so I hope you will discuss it a
little. I might be wrong, but for me regrinding and using flute side
down works even greater as a shearer. It does raise an interesting
question though. ie. When skewing or shearing with a double bevelled
tool, which bevel rules? I had thought mostly the one that rides the
blank, but both penetrate. I'm often wrong, but I'm willing to listen.

The edge rules, as always. Joaz's in-cannel solution gives you the shear
angle I use with the large-radius gouges, even the back angle, since he
grinds in an arc around the nose. Difference is the cutting angle is much
lower with the bevel guided on the wood. Bevel won't guide when at a high
angle. It's the equivalent of using a low-angle plane for tough grain
versus the York pitch smoother.

The bevel gives good cough protection over a scraper. A cough pushes the
bevel into the work, not the edge, and the wood easily rejects it. Scrapers
work best with modest stock removal, and can escalate so rapidly with a bit
of pressure that a spouse announcing dinner can ruin an hour's worth of
bowl....