Posted to rec.woodworking
Old guy Old guy is offline

Default First attempt at grinding, how bad did I do?

Sounds like you have the right equipment. I love my Veritas rest and
holder.

I've learned some things that you might already know, but I'll pass them on
anyhow.

First, I shape the blade at a 90* bevel. If I'm trying to remove serious
metal, the feather edge will burn every time. After it is shaped/square or
what have you, then I set the bevel angle (and it's so easy with the
Veritas) and sharpen the blunt edge I just made.

The second is to put a finger on the blade about 1" back from the wheel. (I
keep alert, don't want to be known as Stumpy). When my finger gets hot, the
blade is too, and it needs air or water cooling.

And third, if I am sharpening HSS tools (like lathe chisels),I don't dunk
them in water. The rapid cooling makes for micro cracks which degrade the
edge quickly.

It's wonderful to have sharp tools!

Old Guy

"Leuf" wrote in message
I got an 8" grinder. Got an 80x white wheel. Got the spiffy Veritas
rest and holder.

First attempt was with my beater chisel that I use for scraping glue
off the bench and various other nasty business. It actually has a
decent bevel on it for the first time ever now.

Then I went for the pitted #6 blade.

http://www.krtwood.com/burn1.jpg

I was going to show that picture and ask if it was okay if it turned
that color as long as it didn't turn blue, but well once I saw it
zoomed in I could see that it *was* blue in one spot near the top,
which I couldn't see by eye before. So clearly that's bad.

http://www.krtwood.com/burn2.jpg

This blade I still don't care too much about, but it's not garbage.
It's mostly not changed color at all, except for that one spot near
the top again. which this time I don't see any blue. So now I get to
ask my question, is this okay?

The plane iron is thinner than the chisel so I assume it's harder for
it to dissipate the heat. Because it's in the same spot on two
attempts that got hotter it must be a technique thing. I was trying
to just make a light pass straight across, and I went for the water
after every pass. I guess not light enough.

-Leuf