Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default First attempt at grinding, how bad did I do?

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:43:13 -0500, Leuf
wrote:

I got an 8" grinder. Got an 80x white wheel. Got the spiffy Veritas
rest and holder.

First attempt was with my beater chisel that I use for scraping glue
off the bench and various other nasty business. It actually has a
decent bevel on it for the first time ever now.

Then I went for the pitted #6 blade.

http://www.krtwood.com/burn1.jpg

I was going to show that picture and ask if it was okay if it turned
that color as long as it didn't turn blue, but well once I saw it
zoomed in I could see that it *was* blue in one spot near the top,
which I couldn't see by eye before. So clearly that's bad.

http://www.krtwood.com/burn2.jpg

This blade I still don't care too much about, but it's not garbage.
It's mostly not changed color at all, except for that one spot near
the top again. which this time I don't see any blue. So now I get to
ask my question, is this okay?

Probably.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, anyhow- as I use a regular grinder
with stock wheels, I've burned a fairish number of chisels over the
years, and had to grind past the bluing a little bit at a time, and it
has always seemed to me that any loss of temper is confined to the
specific area that changed color. Once the discolored area is ground
away, everything seems to be just fine again.

Also, when I say I've burned chisels in the past, I mean it- what
you've got shown is almost nothing. I wouldn't have even seen it if
you hadn't pointed it out. If it turns dark blue, with some yellow
and orange discoloration around it, that's the time to worry about it.