Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Freezer/Refrig Help

wrote:

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 22:38:13 -0500,
wrote:

Hmmm 30 years. I believe GE used their "uni-bearing" cond motor.
The single bearing has probably gone oval-shape.

Dig out the model number, but this shows some common parts:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ac...s.aspx?cat=173

You could put a meter across the motor just to verify that
it is getting power when it stops spinning.

I have checked the temperature of the refrigerator now. It is to warm
also. I believe the separate cooling fan for the compressor shuts down
because the compressor is froze up and over current. Not having to
delve into a refrigerators working before this can only be a guess.

Maybe some one on this group can confirm whether the cooling fan runs
during the same time periods as the compressor. If so I may be off to
Lowe's to get another thirty year refrigerator.

More bad news if I am understanding the circuit. A bi-metal over
current device clicks off when the fan shuts down. This thimble sized
device is in series with the compressor and fan. If I unhook one leg
of the compressor the over current device will not trip and the fan
continues to run.

Ah. You are probably right then that it's a compressor failure.
That's the starting relay for the compressor.

Too bad.

Jim