Posted to alt.home.repair
redbelly redbelly is offline

Default Cat house insulation problem/question

On Feb 2, 6:53 pm, "Redbelly" wrote:
On Feb 2, 8:47 am, "Mike S." wrote:

I need to try to insulate a cat house/box just for temporary use. I
want to be able to use material I have around the house rather than
buying something since it will only be used for a week. Right now I'm
using a cardboard box as the cat house and I'd like to inuslate the
sides, top, and back. Will either of these materials work and if so,
which one would be best: carpet or styrofoam that's commonly used as
packing material for VCRs, DVD players, TVs, and computers.

I had originally wanted to buy some styrofoam insulation from a
hardware store but the stores around here either don't have it or it
costs way to much. Plus, the sheets would be to big to fit in my car.

"styrofoam" insulation (forget the actual name of the material - the
pink stuff that looks like styrofoam) shouldn't be that expensive.
Home Depot has it, if you're in the U.S.

Bring a utility knife with you, and cut it up in the parking lot to
fit it into your car.

How cold is where you are, and how long will the cat be left outside
in this box?

Mark

Another idea: use 2 boxes, one inside the other, with styrofoam
packing peanuts in between.