Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default circuit breaker boxes

It's fine to do that, but unless your bedrooms were wired on dedicated
circuits, maybe not practical given the issues with the current crop of AFCI
breakers, also if you buy a full sized panel, such as a forty circuit 200
amp panel, there are no half size breakers allowed. You only have provisions
for half sized breakers with reduced size panels

"N8N" wrote in message
oups.com...

Why not? I've added an AFCI to my house, along with a TVSS. I used
receptacles where GFCIs would be required. It takes minimal effort
"while you're in there" and while it may not be 100% compliant with
modern codes, it's closer than it was.

My advice would be to use full sized breakers exclusively, but get a
panel that allows half height breakers, that way there's room for
expansion in the future.

nate

On Feb 2, 4:25 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
It's an old house so they probably wouldn't be using any arc fault or
ground
fault breakers, which incidentally take the same space as any other full
sized breaker

wrote in message

ps.com...

how many spaces would be
already filled by the items in our present fuse box and how many
extra
spaces would there be?

You'll use the same number of breakers as the number of fuses you're
using
now.

True, but on a breaker box more space is better. What I can't say for
sure is how many arc fault or ground fault breakers that they might
want to put in. Those take up a lot of space. More space is
beneficial because then you can put all your applicnaces on separate
breakers, and then your toaster oven and microwave on separate
breakers as well, etc.- Hide quoted text -