Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default End grain - wet or dry wood

Dick
You are a brave man. The thought of a skew cut on the outside of a bowl
brings back memories of beginning turning. I still have all my fingers but I
am not skewing a bowl again. I like to use a shear scraper on the outside of
a bowl. This is something I learned from a John Jordan video. He learned it
from Del stubbs who learned it from...
Any way, take a chisel and grind it about 20* back from corner to corner.
Grind the edge to about 45*. Run a slip stone over the back to remove any
burr and then push the slip stone edge against the bevel to raise a burr.
The tool is used almost vertical, certainly no more than 45*, and gently
drawn in the direction of the burr. Very fine shavings result.
I realize the directions are clear as mud. I will try to get a page up soon.

--

God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate