Posted to rec.woodworking
scouter3 scouter3 is offline

Default Auriou rasp alternatives?

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 1, 6:53 pm, tommyboy wrote:
On 1 Feb 2007 16:23:56 -0800, "Jay Pique"
wrote:

On Feb 1, 12:52 pm, wrote:
On Jan 31, 9:16 pm, "Jay Pique" wrote:

Are there any more reasonably priced alternatives to Auriou for
hand-
cut rasps?

Popular Woodworking magazine has a tool review of some other hand cut
rasps they compared to the Auriou and said they were just as good.
Mentioned the prices were lower. Not sure if significantly lower or
not. Current issue I saw on the stand last weekend. Forget the brand
since I have the Nicholson 49 and 50.

Thanks - I'll check it out.
JP

How do the microplanes compare to the 49 and 50?

I attended a seminar given by Marc Adams and he used the Shinto rasps
sold by Japan Woodworking, and others, for shaping something. Said
the regular model was much better than the one with the extra handle
on it. He spoke highly of them. And if you've seen marc Adams' slide
show of the furniture he has created, you would know he has some skill
in woodworking.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...ept _id=12881

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...ept _id=12881

My father had one of the Shinto type saw rasps in his shop back in
Pennsylvania 35+ years ago. It was the regular kind with the straight
handle, and it was a great rasp. When he passed, my Mother left some of his
closer friends have a tool or two from his shop, and I inherited the rest.

I was somewhat saddened to see that the japanese rasp was gone, but I know
the man that picked it out, and he was a true and good friend of my father
who appreciated it. I couldn't find another one until I stumbled across a
Japan Woodworker Catalog about 10 years ago.

At the time they didn't have the straight handled one available, so I
settled for the planer rasp instead.

With the exception of the handle position it is virtually the same tool
that I remember using in my fathers workshop those many years ago. I agree
that the positioning of the extra handle is somewhat clumsy, at least to my
hand.

I would suggest the regular one if you are looking for a general purpose
rasp, and the planer rasp only if you have need of the offset handle
feature.

Lloyd