Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling Ian Stirling is offline

Default Safety of stored microwave

Andy Burns wrote:
mike wrote:

I have a microwave oven that been in storage for 4 years! Bought new
it was used only a couple of times. I seems (does) work fine - but I
just wondered - is it ok to use the thing after it being stored so for
long? Is there some way to check it's working safely?

you can get microwave leakage detectors, I don't know if there is any
genuine need for these, or if they were just sold to capitalise on
people's unfounded fears of getting "zapped".

There is not.
Modern microwave (1973?) ovens employ a seal which does not rely on a
very close-fitting gasket as the very earliest ones did.

They use a clever design based on the RF physics of the thing to stop
the leaking.

Unless there are holes of greater than 1cm into the microwave, or the
door is grossly warped (say 2mm) then it's not leaking anything if bits
haven't actually been removed.

If it's just been stored, and not abused, then there is no risk.
There is a small risk it will not work on switchon, but that's a
seperate thing.