Peter Parry

Default rcd

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:33:26 +0100, Gnube
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:46:19 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

Sure makes you wonder if we should be looking into better ways of
doing a lot of basic things like lighting etc. Wouldn't solve it on
it's own I guess, but surely we can do better than this suggests?!

The problem is that risk management (there is no such thing as risk
elimination) is badly understood and can only be applied when you
look at the total situation. This approach does not suit
organisations who like to compartmentalise things or whose expertise
is in a narrow area.

"Safety" has also been made into a quasi religion, so questioning
something called a "safety measure", no matter how daft it might be,
is treated almost as sacrilege. A prime example of safety mania was
the over-reaction to the Potters Bar rail crash which caused more
casualties than it saved.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/