Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default First attempt at grinding, how bad did I do?

I got an 8" grinder. Got an 80x white wheel. Got the spiffy Veritas
rest and holder.

First attempt was with my beater chisel that I use for scraping glue
off the bench and various other nasty business. It actually has a
decent bevel on it for the first time ever now.

Then I went for the pitted #6 blade.

http://www.krtwood.com/burn1.jpg

I was going to show that picture and ask if it was okay if it turned
that color as long as it didn't turn blue, but well once I saw it
zoomed in I could see that it *was* blue in one spot near the top,
which I couldn't see by eye before. So clearly that's bad.

http://www.krtwood.com/burn2.jpg

This blade I still don't care too much about, but it's not garbage.
It's mostly not changed color at all, except for that one spot near
the top again. which this time I don't see any blue. So now I get to
ask my question, is this okay?

The plane iron is thinner than the chisel so I assume it's harder for
it to dissipate the heat. Because it's in the same spot on two
attempts that got hotter it must be a technique thing. I was trying
to just make a light pass straight across, and I went for the water
after every pass. I guess not light enough.

-Leuf