Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Cat house insulation problem/question

On Feb 2, 7:47 am, "Mike S." wrote:
Will either of these materials work and if so,
which one would be best: carpet or styrofoam that's commonly used as
packing material for VCRs, DVD players, TVs, and computers.

Anything will work if your goal is to build something fast and cheap.
My cats have superb fur and routinely go outside in sub-zero weather.
I don't know how cold you expect it to get but most cats are well
adapted to cold conditions.

They instictively huddle down in a place where the wind is blocked and
pull their paws underneath their body. They can also bury their eyes
and nose in the fur.

Mine usually come back inside pretty fast when it's cold though, for
sure. They can make themselves heard by scratching and clawing the
storm door. Occasionally they go out when I am at work all day and
they seem OK when I get home though are quite ready to go inside,
lol.

It is a good idea to do what you can for cats that will be outside.
Barn cats are quite a tradition and if you have any outbuildings then
that is a place where the outside type cat can be given shelter.

Use a cardboard box for sure. Cats love boxes and are naturally
attracted to them and for sure you want to help the cat stay warm if
you can. If you can put a heating pad on low inside the box that is
the best solution and the cat will find it for sure. If you are
really worried then old blankets are the best idea, as Steve said. I
have stacks of moving quilts that I buy cheap by the dozen and they
are handy.