Posted to alt.home.repair
Dean Dean is offline

Default Garage torsion spring

On Feb 2, 9:08 am, "Buck" wrote:
One of the springs is unwound but not broken. Looks like a the set screws
came loose. I Googled for info & only found lots of stuff on how to replace
the springs. Can I simply wind this spring back up? Should I unwind the
other first to make sure both springs are equal?

Thanks!

Do'nt try it alone,,have a Friend with a phone..The one that's still
in place *should* be tensioned correctly,,the spiral lines on the one
that did'nt come loose *should be* the amount of spirals(painted
lines) for the other one too..That's how new ones are installed
anyway,,if for some reason the door needs different tension on one
side there could be some other problem..
Tensioning springs for a tall door for a Semi-tractor storage
unit from atop a 12' stepladder was a REAL adventure,,,then had to do
it again on the other end so the driver would'nt need to back out! The
Forman was telling stories of when He let a smaller one loose and had
to cut His long sleeve loose from the spring so He did'nt loose His
arm as I was winding! I'm glad I'm not the "Grunt" anymore!!
Use the proper extensins for the winding pegs and never release
pressure on the 1st while positioning the 2nd..Have the wrench to
tighten the set screw right there handy too,,inspect everything for
possible replacement..
One slip and Yer a hurtin unit fer sure!! I agree with Whoever said
to call an overhead door guy,,it's good advice..
Dean