Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Olebiker Olebiker is offline

Default End grain - wet or dry wood

On Feb 2, 5:43 am, "George" wrote:
Amazing. Though I'm of the belief that there may have been more scraping
then cutting involved, I certainly would be interested in seeing the
technique. You grow by learning.

The wood was birch. I presented the edge of the skew almost
vertically (maybe 5 degrees off).

I began by rubbing the bevel then rotating the handle outward until
the edge started to pick up. As I moved forward down the curve of the
bowl I had to rotate the handle further out to keep the edge
engaged.

This was merely a finishing cut after the forming had been done.
Since the edge was nearly vertical there was little chance of a catch
occurring. I tried emulating the same sort of cut with a bowl chisel
but could not get the same result.

I appreciate everyone's advise and concern for my safety. Back to the
drawing board.

Dick "no ER trips yet" Durbin