Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul of Dayton Paul of Dayton is offline

Default Running out of Hot Water

Thanks to everyone who answered. I have checked pipes and hot/cold where it
isn't supposed to be. I think the sudden cold snap here in Ohio is the
cause of my problem. As I mentioned in the 1st post, I have raised the temp
a bit. It made a very noticeable change at the tap. I'll let everyone know
if I still run out.

PoD

"Paul of Dayton" wrote in message
et...
Hi Folks -

This one has me stumped. When we bought this house 5 years ago, we
quickly discovered it was easy to run out of hot water. I did the usual
checks to see if the WH was connected correctly and also checked each
plumbing fixture to see if a bad valve might be allowing the cold and hot
to mix. I finally chalked it up to on old 40gal gas heater full of gunk
and turned the temp up.

The heater finally died this summer so I replaced it with a 50gal unit
with a larger burner. I set it at the recommended setting and figured all
would be well. Lately, I find we are running out of hot water again.
This morning, one shower emptied it. It is burning correctly, just full
of cold water.

I bumped the temp up a bit but I really liked not burning my hands to a
cinder with hot water. There has to be something causing this but I am
stumped.

By the way, the old heater wasn't significantly heaver than the new one
after I emptied it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

PoD

--

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

-Hanlon's razor