Posted to alt.home.repair
Felder Felder is offline

Default Thermostat question

On Feb 1, 1:00 pm, "Ronald'" wrote:
The actual temperature is exactly the same as indicated on the thermostat -
measured with 2 different thermometers. The last I looked, this thermostat
was commonly sold in stores. I called the outfit that installed the
furnace. They now supply a different brand and type of thermostat. It
seems that I will be crawling out of the dark ages.

Programmable is the way to go. We had an old mercury t-stat when we
bought our place and had problems getting the temperature set. It
would usually get hotter than the preset temperature. The programmable
we have now is dead nuts on. Very consistent. It's set for 68 when
we're home and that's the reading we get on the t-stat unit in the
hallway and on the thermometer in the living room. I love it. It
pretty much paid for itself last year when natural gas prices were so
high. Now we're looking at getting a new furnace this spring. Our
current one is old (at least 20yrs.), but is very reliable. It's just
not very efficient and I worry about the condition of the heat
exchanger.

-Felder