Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Duophone TAD-114 Remote Control

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 20:14:05 -0500, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**
wrote:

I have a TAD-260 from that era. It can be programmed to phone (dial out)
another number after taking a message and from that other phone
(cellphone etc), and once answered, you can input a security code (3
digits) and retreive the messages. It is a fine machine and is still
working. Last year I had top replace the rubber drive belt that finally
broke, and last week I got around to replacing the color burst (3.58
MHz) crystal for the internal DTMF decoder that makes the remote
features work. My wife keeps bugging me to get a new digital unit, but
none I find so far has the dial out feature. The new digital ones all
have terrible interfaces.

I suspect your TAD-114 has a feature that allows you to call it remotely
and retreive messages using DTMF.

The thing is that TAD-260 has a quite-a-bit higher number than
TAD-114. So it is newer and might be fancier.

I looked again at the machine and it works such that when put on
Answer Phone, the rubber capstan wheel is firmly against the capstan.
When it is on Rewind, they are apart (and the record and erase heads
are away from the tape, but that part might not matter).

How is going to rewind remotely if the capstan wheel is pressed
against the capstan.

Aren't all those who replied to my qustion talking about machines that
use push button electric switches and servos to change from one mode
to another? Not a knob attached to a mechanism.

So far, as hard as it is to believe, since this was a popular model, I
can't help thinking it was mislabeled!

Mine has a "beep" function, but I don't use it. I suppose the new units
won't let you turn the record feature on independently of answering the
line. Mine will allow me to do this and I suppose the beep function is
to provide that legal protection.

These were made for Radio Shack by the major answering machine
manufacturer (I forgot the name) of that time and so thedesign and
quality is exceptional.

I haven't fully tested this one, but so far it seems to work fine.

mm

mm wrote:

First, an unrelated question: How come phone answering machines no
longer beep every 10 seconds. For the last 25 years or more? Was the
law changed and nobody told me?

Second: I just got at a rummage sale a Duo-Phone machine TAD-114, and
it is labeled "Remote Control". What could they mean by Remote
Control? AFAICT, one has to touch the machine to make it do anything
(except if one calls in and leaves a message).

It's full label is
"DuoFone TAD-114
Voice Actuated * Two Way Record
Dual Cassette Remote Control
Telephone Answering System"

This device was made in 1983, when remote message retrieval with a
beeper existed, and when beeperless remote was just about to start, or
had just started.

But this machine has a knob one turns to go from off to playback to
rewind to answer to announce only to record announcment. Though some
of these obviously change electrical connections, the knob also
changes physical things related to the cassette mechanism. It
couldn't possibly play back messages remotely, afaict. And the
mini-manual glued inside the cover says nothing about "remote".

(DuoPhone is the Radio Shack brand for this kind of thing.)