Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default Help with Router choice

"Andy" wrote in
ups.com:

As a virgin WWer you may not know that you will want at least two
routers.
One for the table (which you should build) and one for free handing.

Eventually, probably true. But assuming you don't have an infinite
tool budget, one will work just fine while you get started.
Especially if it has 2 bases - that's a great compromise.

Excellent advice. I screwed up, and started out with a big, honking plunge
router, 3+ hp. Scared me a bit, until I banished it to the homebuilt
table.

Now I have 5 or 6 routers. If I had to choose, the PC 693 dual base kit
would be the one I'd start with. That's closest to the Bosch in features,
and competes closely with it. It's also on the backside of it's product
life - for me, a good thing. PC figured to replace it with the 890 series,
which has had some recall issues.

So the Bosch would be a good starter kit, if that's one of your two
choices. The Triton, a little later.

Patriarch,
advice worth amount charged...