Neil Jones

Default Rough cost of re-doing a concrete drive

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:48:52 +0100, "David Hearn"
wrote:

Frist of all, have a look at http://www.pavingexpert.com for estimates
of quantities required, construction techniques etc.

I'm loathed to pay anyone to do work which I think I can do myself - (famous
last words!). So - does anyone have any idea (very rough would be useful)
the sort of cost I would expect to rip up the old concrete, dispose of it,
and relay (bearing in mind its a driveway which is about 2 cars (Pug 306!)
width wide, and possibly 3 to 3.5 cars long).

Things I can think of (but no idea of cost) would be:

Small digger hire (I'm not going to break my back as well as the concrete!)

When I remade my drive in March I hired a 1.5T mini digger for a week
for £200 + VAT + insurance + fuel. The week ran from Friday afternoon
to the Monday morning 10 days later. It was fine for ripping out the
old conrete edging and any bits of concrete where you could get a good
bit of leverage but there are a couple of areas I had to leave becasue
the machine wasn't beefy enough to smach them or pull them up with
restricted access. If you have access all round the drive you should
be OK.

Skip (or however many skips I'd need)
Concrete to lay (is it realistic mixing it myself for this sort of size -
getting it pre-mixed would be easiest).

I used mixamate who charged £95+VAT per cubic metre for the first 2
metres, and then the guy came back and did the rest privately for
cash. It's amazing how small and area 1 metre of concrete will cover,
and yet how much it weighs.

Looking at that, it sounds a nice and easy job! Is it actually straight
forward - or is there more to it than that.

Do you need to put a sub base under a concrete slab? I can't remember
offhand but the website referred to above will tell you.

Obviously it'll be hard work -
but as long as its not complex - I think it should be okay.

Also - any ideas what sort of cost I may expect to get someone in to do it?

I reckon I saved about £2k doing mine - but it was a fair bit bigger

Bearing in mind its a shared driveway, it may not be that expensive to do it
between the two of us. We're in Guildford, Surrey - a costly county!

I'm near Tonbridge, Kent. not Surrey, but not cheap either.

Thanks

HTH

Neil