Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default 20amp Circuit How many computers

Hi Mark,

I hadn't set out to prove anyone right or wrong, but I did want to
assure the OP that the varying power demands of an ink jet printer are
really very modest compared to those of a laser, and that the printer
wouldn't have any material impact on circuit capacity compared to
these other loads (which I think we're all agree are fairly modest in
themselves).

Cheers,
Paul

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 13:03:26 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 04:32:40 GMT, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:

Hi Mark,

OK, I realize I'm being a F-N PITA this evening, but I wanted to note
the OP has indicated the printer is "not laser", so I'm taking that
to mean it's an ink jet. And if that's the case, the difference
between operating and standby consumption should be fairly modest.

I remember some ratings that were very different, but haven't actually
measured it. Yet.

I checked my inkjet printer (Epson Stylus Photo R220). Measured
current consumption during standby was 20mA. During initialization or
printing, it varied with a maximum of 90mA. This printer doesn't use
much power, and that isn't a very big change compared to the
information I had (probably for a very old printer, maybe it was
laser).

I do remember something about not putting a laser printer on a UPS
because of the power surges.

So, I'm saying you're right. I don't have a problem admitting mistakes
I actually made.