Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Olebiker Olebiker is offline

Default End grain - wet or dry wood

On Jan 30, 1:38 pm, "
wrote:

Normally a gouge should give the better cut, but if you can't position
it to cut proper, a sharp scraper might do a better job, and SHARP on
a scraper is only good for seconds, don't turn the grinder off, it's
cut/sharpen/cut/sharpen/cut etc.

Neither a sharp gouge nor a sharp scraper seemed to work, so I spent a
little time last night working the the dreaded skew. By attacking the
endgrain horizontally rather than vertically I was able to get a very
smooth cut. It's going to take a lot of practice to get really
comfortable with the skew, and I can only use it on the outside of the
bowl, but I have great hopes for this method.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee