Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hall Dave Hall is offline

Default Best Oil for Teak

My dad bought a boat with some teak trim on it around 1980. My sister
got it when he passed away in 1995. The teak on it still looks very
nice (not that old looking grey crap). The only thing that has ever
been used is a little transmission fluid every year or two. They do
sell "teak oil" at the boat supply stores and I am sure it is nice,
but the transmission oil was recommended to dad when he bought the
boat and has apparently been effective for 27 years. Probably any
light oil will do, the transmission oil was probably recommended due
to the red tint in it.

Dave Hall

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 10:32:09 -0500, eclipsme
wrote:

This was covered a while back, but for some reason I can't find it...

What is the best oil finish for Teak on the exterior of a boat kept
outdoors?

Thanks in advance,
Harvey