Posted to rec.woodworking
Oughtsix Oughtsix is offline

Default Help with Router choice

I own 2 PorterCable 690's and two ancient old stanley routers and I
love them all! The stanleys are just the right size for man handeling
with one hand and they have some accessories that the new models
don't. How about an electric planer attachment? The first time I
used the electric planer attachment it did a miserable job. The
second time I used it I figured out that the bit came to me with the
helical blade on backwards. After turning the helical blade over on
the shaft it has worked beautifully and I have used it dozens of
times. The stanleys were both ebay purchases for around $20 plus
extra for the planer attachments.

One of my 690's is stored with a 1/4" round over bit in it on a D
handle base. That is it's whole purpose in life and it gets used
alot.

The only place I have had problems with the 690's is with a big 45
lock miter bit in the PC table. It was just to big for the small
router and the router spun this bit to fast. I have since purchased
an old oliver shaper mainly for 45 lock miters. I love the 45 lock
miter joint and use it a lot. After you set it up once and get used
to it later setups are much quicker and easier.