Posted to alt.home.repair
Zephyr Zephyr is offline

Default Furnace Stops prematurely while in recovery mode

snip

I should have provided some more info,

it is a gas furnace, I have a gas water heater, and gas stove. The
furnace had the exhaust fan and ignitor unit replaced earlier this year
under home warrenty. I have a few vents closed currently to prevent
heating of unused rooms.

It isn't a problem with the furnace, because he said that when this
happens, the "heat" indicator on the thermostat goes out and the
recovery indicator stays on. If it were the furnace, the heat
indicator on the thermostat would not change.

That was my thinking too, that if the heat indicator went off on the stat,
that it was not the furnace that was at fault, it was the stat. A friend
of mine (who had not looked at it) suggested that maybe the furnace was
overheating, but, given the situation with the stat, I was skeptical of
that possibility. Unless the funace had some overheating sensor that fed to
the stat that turned of the stat, instead of just stopping the furnace
leaving the stat still calling for heat.

That all said, I do have a few vents closed in spare bedrooms and all the
vents in the unfinished basement.

I think the service menu that Tony is referring to is the advanced
settings menu in the thermostat. Some of the HW thermostats, like
the LCD touchscreeen (8600?) ones have a zillion settings. It's
possible something in there controls this. Like maybe it's set for
some dual fuel system option, where it uses one fuel to get most of
the way, then switches.

I will look into the stats menu settings, it doesn't seem like there is a
lot there, this is a lower end model, it doesn't even record the run times
for the past day/week/period.

If you can't find a setting, I'd contact HW or look on their FAQ page,
etc. My vote is this isn't right, and it's either a setting or a
software bug, but it's not a failure in the thermostat.

In all fairness, I am making a lot of guesses here, but I suspect you
will need to have someone check out the furnace. If it needs repair, I
would consider a newer high efficiency furnace as it may not pay to
repair
that lower efficiency one in the long run.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all your help