Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default Question About Renting Propane Tanks

Well I can tell you one thing, filling is a lot cheaper if you go to the
right place. At least in my area. They get $21 to exchange the 20's and I
only pay $14.50 to refill the 30's

--
Steve Barker

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
In article %Edwh.6291$yB5.6034@trndny03,
"Tom G" wrote:

The way that works is, you buy a new tank, then give it to them

I respectfully disagree.

The way it worked for me, patronizing the Rhino brand of propane exchange
service at Lowes and a nearby farm supply store, went thusly:

Not willing to part with any of my OWN tanks, I purchased an
already-filled
tank. Then, when it was empty, I returned it to a Rhino dealer and
exchanged
it for a "full" tank. I have since purchased another Rhino exchange tank
so
that I'll always have a full one available.

they give you a used tank full of propane for more than what it
would cost you to take it to a propane supplier and have it filled.

Again, I disagree.

The reasons I first tried the tank exchange we 1) Convenience; and 2)
Economy. The exchange price was 2-3 dollars LESS than what it cost me to
refill my own tank at the local hardware store.

There's a rumor that these tanks aren't filled to capacity, either.

It's just that: A rumor.

The tare (empty) weight is stamped (by law) on all propane cylinders.
Placing
a newly-refilled tank on your bathroom scale and doing some simple
subtraction
will reveal how much gas you are paying for.

It's all a convenience thing.

True. Being proud of my two, 20-lb and two, 30-lb (RV) tanks, I resisted
trying the exchange thing for a long time. Now, having done it several
times,
I am convinced of its VALUE, not to mention convenience. I am even
considering retiring my pair of 30-lb RV cylinders and using strictly
exchange
20-pounders. Doing so would be cheaper and MUCH more convenient than
having
my tanks refilled.
--

JR