Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default What size inserted bits?

Arch
I use 3/16" square bits in a 1/2" shaft with no problem and I suspect that
it would be fine in a 7/16" steel rod. When you say hollow I assume you mean
to use this as a scraper. Seldom would I use greater than a 3/16" bit in a
hollowing tool. Even 1/4" tends ot be too wide for other than smoothing use
and 1/8" can be too aggressive a cutter, at least for me. I would say that
you have the right combination for about 5" depth and maybe a little more.
If you get chatter, reduce the cut.

--

God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Arch" wrote in message
I found some 7/16 round steel rods lost in a corner of my shop and am
cobbling up some small inserted bit hollowing tools. I wouldn't sully
his memory by calling my messies, "Oland Tools".

I have some 3/16 round hss bits, but they seem a bit too aggressive.
Could be my technique since I have used square 3/16 bits without making
too many funnels.

What size bits do you all suggest for these small tools? Also what
length of exposed shaft do you suggest and what reasonable depth should
I expect to hollow to, say in cherry or mahogany, with a 7/16 crs shaft?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter