Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger Dan Bollinger is offline

Default A nice score at work today

430 is non-hardenable, it is low carbon. It is used primarily for decorative
trim on automobiles, applicances and consumer products. It has high chromium
content. The molecular structure is what determines whether or not SS is
ferromagnetic or not. Sometimes working the steel will change the structure and
it will then exhibit magnetic properties.

While digging through the scrap this evening, I ran across some
stainless steel marked "400 series". Not really knowing what the heck
that was supposed to mean, I figured I'd ask- and lo and behold, it
was a bit of 11ga 430 stainless steel.

Not quite what they make knives out of (440), but it had enough carbon
to be magnetic, so I made a couple of sets of chisels from it- there
was enough on the margins of the sheet to get 10 tools out of- two
each of a roughing gouge, a bowl gouge, a spindle gouge, a parting
tool and a skew.

I didn't really need any, but the guy I sold my midi lathe to could
really use some better tools, so I knocked out a set for each of us,
and pressed the flutes for the gouges on the brake (which worked
great, BTW). They're 14" long, with 1" stainless steel heavy-duty
ferrules welded to the tools for easy mounting on handles, and are
some nice looking tools.

I'm a little concerned about the thickness (11ga, or a little under
1/8"), but the gouges stiffened up nicely when I pressed the flutes,
and they're still in the annealed state right now. I'll be hardening
and tempering them on Monday (when I get some more gas for my forge,)
so here's to hoping that they'll still take a nice edge after that!

Anyhow, thought I'd share. If they don't cut great, at least they're
some fine looking tools to hang on the wall of the turnery, and the
price (free) was definately right! And if they do work well, I figure
it's an almost gloatable project- considering I rescued the material
from being tossed out, and turning tools aren't the least expensive
thing going these days.