Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Electric Bill - Is this Eccessive?

"Dave Plowman (News)" typed

In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
I've tried a GE "Extra Mini" 11W (supposedly ~ 60W GLS) blub here in
the study, and it takes a couple of minutes to get to "full"
brightness. I'm not over-impressed - the light's a sort of slightly
orangey yellow. If it was the only light source in the room I'd ditch
it.

Oddly enough, looking at the box it came in (I got two at the time),
you are told not to use it with a timer - I wonder why.

They can be used with a timer provided it has some form of mechanical
switch contacts - purely electronic ones won't work. So since they regard
the average punter as thick they just say it won't work. However, with the
increased popularity of them. I'd say it's up to the timer makers to find
a cure. Battery operation as per some thermostats would do it, if you need
one to replace a simple switch.

Its life is quoted as 8 years. I wonder how many people could be
bothered to record its effective life or even remember from where they
bought it...

Another example of poor advertising. Their working life will be in hours
so depends on how much they are used.

Yeah, my GE Extramini 11 watt jobs boast 15 years (if used for 2.7 hours
per day).

What's wrong with stating 15,000 hours?

--
Helen D. Vecht: