Posted to rec.woodworking
Strike Penguin Strike Penguin is offline

Default Need lacquer coating on gun stock parts in TX. Where to go?

Oughtsix (good 'nick, by the way)

Not to worry. I'm not refinishing original parts, I'm looking for somebody
to imitate the original finish on some custom wood I've had made up to go
WITH the originals.

Funny you mention carved initials. Somebody scratched the word "VICTORIA"
onto these handguards. Given the pedigree of the parts, and knowing who the
manufacture was supplying at the time, it's possible the parts were used on
a rifle in Rhodesia.

"Oughtsix" wrote in message
ups.com...
DON'T DO IT!!!!!

When I first started collecting military weapons 20 years ago I
enjoyed refinishing them myself with BLO. I still have my first M1
carbine I refinished and it turned out beautifullly. IT IS
WORTHLESS!!!! Neither me nor my friends that are collectors have much
interest in refinished weapons. The scaring you showed in the
pictures is part of the firearm and part of it's history. Respect it
for what it is "A weapon that has been lugged around by some infantry
man somewhere". If he carved his initials in it 50 years ago, all the
better.

But that is just my opinion!