Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael White Michael White is offline

Default Help with Router choice

OuttKastt wrote:

Please help me choose. I recently posted about which router to
purchase and have narrowed it down to two.

1) Bosch 1617EVSPK which comes with RA1054 Deluxe router guide. The
price for this is $309 (CAN) + taxes

2) Triton TRC001 for $259 (CAN) + taxes.

I am practically a virgin when it comes to woodworking but I am very
eager to learn and get started. I would like to buy or make a table
so this should probably weight into the equation.

I actually ordered the Triton from a company but it is taking forever
to come in so I may order it from another website.

Please give me your opinions. I really only want to buy once.

Cheers

David

David,

I can't give you any input on the Triton, but I've been pretty disappointed
with the Bosch setup:

- The power switch has failed twice. It took a week to get fixed while
under warranty, and when it failed the second time I fixed it using parts
from Fry's Electronics. It's a poor design, and I expect it to fail again.

- The sub-base can't be centered externally using the centering tool. I've
had three baseplates under warranty, and they're all crap.

- The Bosch templets are made of two-pieces of cheaply welded together
steel. One broke in half under almost no pressure and ruined a $60 bit.

- Raising and lowering the router in the stand requires you remove pressure
from the router base by lifting the router. Ya' know, if you create a
base -specifically- to be used on a router table, you should be able to
raise the router by simply turning the adjustment knob, -not- lifting the
router and turning the knob simultaneously.

- It's more difficult to find accessories than with the Porter Cable
equipment.

My two cents, but I'll never buy another Bosch router (and this from a man
who has the Bosch 24V drill/sawzall/circular saw, demolition drill, jigsaw,
and belt sander). This is the least satisfactory piece of equipment I've
ever owned that had the Bosch name on it.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer