Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default J-B Weld vs. J-B Kwik

On Jan 31, 9:08 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
My gut tells me that a longer set and cure time (J-B Weld - 15 hour
cure) would be better/stronger, but I ain't no chemist.

JB "Weld" is simply epoxy and filler.

Your intuition is correct. Faster setting epoxy is weaker than slower
setting, both in compressive strength and bond strength.

See the excellent downloadable manuals on epoxy products and applications:

http://www.systemthree.com/

Thanks for the response. I am very familiar with epoxies and fillers.
I have the West Systems pump setup, but I only use it when I need more
than a little bit. http://www.westsystem.com/

Even with the smaller pumps, you get more than you need for most
simple repairs and it's a bit more expensive. That's why I use the JB
product for small fixes. I assumed the Kwik set stuff would be weaker
but I just thought I'd check.

Thanks again.