Posted to alt.home.repair
Layperson Tom Layperson Tom is offline

Default NEC 250-148

On 30 Jan 2007 19:45:54 -0800, wrote:

Inspection failed....... Some simple things easy to fix, but one
thing the inspector noted has me confused. He said ALL grounds in a
gang box must be connected. I understand grounding is important, and
maybe I misunderstood what he meant by ALL. Example..... I have a
four gang box that controls four sets of lights, on 2 different
circuits. So far we have 6 gounds in the box. There is also one
receptacle that is wired from this box too. So now we have 7 gounds,
add the four pigtails for the four switches and now we have 11!!! How
in the world do you connect 11 grounds in a wire nut??? Not possible
is it??? Currently there are three of the switches on one circuit,
and the other switch and the receptacle on the other. First circuit,
three switches plus the hot leg and pigtails is 7 which is really
pushing it in a wirenut anyway, the second circuit has the other
switch, the receptacle, the hot leg and the pigrail for said switch,
there's our other four. I know all grounds in a circuit must be
connected, but are you supposed to ground 2 different circuits
together???? Please help! It's cold as you know what and this is
holding up my insulation!!

Thanks in advance!!!

If you didn't cut your grounds short, you can crimp them all under a
large enough barrel, and then trim them back leaving 4 free ends to
attach to your devices.

Just a guess.....

tom @
www.BlankHelp.com