Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default 20amp Circuit How many computers

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 04:10:04 GMT, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:

True thin client workstations are far less power hungry than their
larger PC cousins.

There should be very little startup surge, since there's no disks.

Also, keep in mind that even though a desktop PC
may have a 400-watt power supply, its maximum power draw is likely to
be less than half that.

And power consumption will be higher than THAT. These things (power
supplies) aren't 100% efficient.

Here's the scoop according to eWeek:

"While a PC can consume as much as 220 watts of power, a thin client
such as Sun's Sun Ray 2FS consumes less than 8 watts. Even a thin
client with a processor and DDR (double data rate) RAM such as HP's HP
Compaq t5720 consumes about 30 watts or less."

Source:

If the accompanying monitors are LCD flat screens, add an additional
30 to 60-watts per workstation; if, however, they are of the CRT
variety, you might bump that number up to 100 or 120-watts.

A large CRT monitor can easily use more power than the computer
itself. A good reason for turning the monitor off when you're not
using it.

One other thing to note: if these thin clients are, in fact, older
generation or "obsolete" PCs that have been "reborn" as thin clients,
150-watts per workstation may be a more reasonable estimate.

So with that in mind, total wattage could fall anywhere from as little
as 150 to 200-watts ( 2.0 amps) at the low end, to perhaps as high as
800 or 900-watts ( 8.0 amps), with the monitor type accounting for
much of this spread. Even at 900-watts, this load would represent
less than half the circuit's rated capacity; a 20-amp circuit would
seem more than sufficient.

Cheers,
Paul

On 30 Jan 2007 18:12:33 -0800, "T.J." wrote:

Can anybody tell me if 3 computers are too much for a 20 amp circuit?
Actually it is 3 monitors a printer "not laser" and 3 thin clients if
anybody knows what a thin client is. it is about the size of a book
and is not a full tower so I assume it consumes alot less power then a
full computer tower.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com