Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default What kind of plug is this?

(I made the assumption that he meant dryer when the OP said washer, since I
haven't heard of 240v washers. If my assumption is incorrect then it is not
acceptable, since 250.140 does not except 240v washers.)- Hide quoted text -

..
That's OK somebody asked, I guess because of the 240* volt rating if
it was a washer/dryer combi; because in North America it is rare
(never?) to see a 240 (230!) volt washer! Dryers, (with or without a
working neutral), yes. Washers no.
That plug reminds me of certain (230 volt) welder type plugs! Maybe
that's what somebody used to safely install it on a North American
115/230 volt domestic supply.
However beginning to suspect (type and model number not read?) that
the machine is maybe 'European' /certain Caribbean countries etc. i.e.
of a type used in parts of the world where 230 volt (probably 50
hertz) is the norm.
Also remember that in some 230 volt countries there can be no
neutral!
Both sides of the two 230 volt wires into a building could be hot.
This would occur, for example where the two wires are from two phases
of a 230 volt supply. It was occasionally but rarely used here in
North America. Haven't seen that arrangement for almost last 50
years!
Anyway, all the more important that the machine be properly grounded.
Also 'if there is a neutral' wire required to operate the machine
(maybe not if the whole machine runs on 230 volts) that it be NOT
CONNECTED to ground.
* The 240 volt label also seems to suggest it is non-North American
style machine?
I must post separately sometime about what appeared to be a standard
North American 115/230 volt cooking range/stove shipped from Australia
that came into my possession. Australia is a 230 volt 50 Hertz two
wire (one of them being AIUI a neutral), plus ground, country. It was
modified with an auto-transformer to provide a sort of phantom/
floating neutral, internal only to the stove.